Respond to the questions below in 1 cohesive paragraph. Employ effective writing skills, beginning with a topic sentence, supoprting your thinking, etc.
- When you were little, what irrational fears did you have?
- Where did this fear come from?
- How did that irrantional fear look? For example, if it was amonster under your bed, when you closed your eyes, how did you imagine that monster looking?
- What fears have replaced it? Why?
When I was little, I had an irrational fear of sharks in the ocean because I lived by the shore. Particularly, I used to dream of my house filling with water, and sharks who swam to the Jaws theme song travelled up my stairs in into my bedroom in herd, chomping at me as I helplessly clung to my covers in the hopes they'd save me.
Now that I've gotten older, I hold on to this fear of sharks and have added some other fears as well. I am still terrified of the ocean, and won't swim in deep water. I would say, though, that my most pervasive fear is something happening to someone I love. Every time my husband is out without me, I'm worried he'll get in a car accident on the way home. Every time a family member feels sick or go to the doctor, I'm afraid they have cancer. Though I know some of these fears are a result of my personal experiences, others are inexplicable; I have been lucky enough, for example, to not have known anyone who died in a car crash. I think they simply come from shifting values.
Happy Posting!
In the book "Lord of the flies" the kids that are stuck on the island are speaking about some beast that they hear all the time. Simion is telling everyone that the beast is real,and scares the little'uns and piggy at first. So now that everyone is thinking there is a beast on the island ralph trys to keep everyone calm even though he is scared him self. The little'uns have nightmares and everyone can hear them scream and cry at night and everyone things its from being scared of the beast. Thats all i really know about the beast in the book.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little, I did not have many fears, but the only one I can remember is that I used to wake up at night when I was hungry, and when I was going down the stairs since everything was really dark, I would run into the kitchen, grab something to eat and run back to my room thinking that someone was following me.
ReplyDeleteI also remember that at night I would hear noices downstairs and could not go to sleep after a long time. Now that I am older, my only fear is that someday I could get injured and never be able to play soccer again in my life, and I think this fear comes from the past few years when I started to have many injuries.
As a little kid I remember I was always afraid that the boogeyman was under my bed. I had this fear because I had this friend who was a lot older than me and she told me about him. So I would always be awake for the longest time and whenever I would close my eyes I would see him and he was chasing me,he had this red skin and big eyes I was so freaked out by him. It always took me forever to fall asleep. Now I am not afraid of the boogeyman, but I am afraid of being kidnapped. For some reason whenever I hear that there is someone who attempted a kidnapping in the area I feel like the person is going to come to my house I'm not really sure why but that is my new fear.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little my biggest fear was I was scared of the dark because I thought someone would break into my house or there was a monster under my bed or in my closet. If I had heard a noise form down stairs I could not go back to sleep because I thought someone was in the house. Also if I woke up in the middle of the night I would look around in my room and under my bed for monsters I thought they were under my bed because or somewhere in my room because after seeing monster inc. I thought that they were monsters that would be in your bed room waiting to scar me so I was scared. Now that is no longer my fear, my fear today is not being able to dance ever again. That is my fear because I love dance and it’s my favorite thing to do. Dance is my life and if I break something or injure myself that would end my dance life for me it would be like the world has ended. As a dancer I want to be a professional dancer when I grow up and be remembered as an amazing dancer. But that is where my fear comes in as a dance you can get hurt and one injure could ruin that for me so I think that is my biggest fear is getting hurt breaking something to where I won’t be able to dance anymore. So that is my biggest fear now.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little my biggest fear was the monster "Randall," who was the bad guy character in "Monsters, Inc." He was terrifying to me. I always thought that he was going to come into my room and try to scare me. I had a hard time falling asleep when I was little because I was so scared that he was in my room. As I got older that fear went away and I realized that he was just a fictional character. But now I have different fears. I have a fear of anyone in my family getting hurt or being in dangerous situations. I always want to know that they are safe. I am not a very big daredevil because I am afraid of putting myself in harm's way.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little my biggest fear was that our house would catch on fire because there were so many lightning storms, and I always heard about forest fires happening in the mountains. In elementary school there were so many fire drills and firefighters always came to talk to us about fires, so it made me even more scared that my house would catch on fire while everyone was asleep. As I got older I got over my fear of fire, and now my biggest fear is losing one of my family members.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little I was afraid of being alone or getting lost. When I was in a crowded area I didn’t want to lose my parents or anyone that I was with. Or I didn’t like being home alone because I thought that someone was going to break in and kill me. I think these fears came from watching TV with my dad. Now whenever I watch a movie and a girl gets kidnapped or im home alone those fears just come back to me. But those fears aren’t as extreme from when I was little because I have a dog and he’s a freak.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little my biggest fear was clowns. I think I developed this fear from an incident that happened when I was about 6. One day my parents took me to the fair and I saw a guy dressed as a clown. I went over to say hi to him and when I walked away he stared to follow me. Ever since then I have had horrible dreams about clowns and I also think the makeup is horrific. Whenever I picture clowns I see them as these horrible creatures with make up to make them look all happy when really its fake. Im still afraid of clowns today but some other rational fears have manifested as well. Such as the fear of loosing someone I love at their own hands just because I have been through that so much.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little I was afraid of monsters hiding in the dark or in my closet. I would always try to hide under the covers when I went to bed so the monsters would not see me and think about eatting me. I got these fears because my grandpa used to watch horror movies with me when I was little. Now when I see the dark places or my closet I don't really think about anything living there except what ever was there in the first place. This fear went away and it doesnt scare me any more.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little, I had an irrational fear of somebody coming in my room at night when I was sleeping. More specifically, I feared someone climbing through my window. I had this fear because I saw this occur in a cartoon. I analyzed this situation almost every night before I went to bed, and it terrified me for many years. I would lie there and imagine a man with a weapon quietly climbing through my window and harm me in some way. I tried to stop this fear by locking my window and checking it every once in a while. As time went on, I realized how brainless this fear actually was, and I began to replace it with more general fears. Some of these fears were something happening to me, such as getting a bad illness, or something happening to others around me. As I get older, I have started to realize that fearing something will not prevent the situation you fear, but just make it more of a reality in your own head.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was younger, I had an extremely active imagination. I was probably frightened by many things when I was really little but the "beast" of my childhood that I can really look back on and remember clearly was E.T. I watched E.T. one day after school in kindergarten with my friend Emmy. My mom showed it to us not knowing that the little wrinkly puppet alien would haunt my dreams for the rest of my childhood (and I still can't watch the movie to this day). The night after I watched it, I had dreams that E.T. was coming into my backyard from the gate and walking towards our sliding glass doors begging for help in his creepy little voice and crying that he wanted to go home. He would run really awkwardly, that gave me the chills, and hid in the darkness and the shadows. I still cringe when I think about that repetitive dream I had until I was probably 10. But now that I'm older, my dreams/nightmares have evolved. I don't dream about E.T. scaring me anymore because my brain has been exposed to scarier and more important and realistic things to be worried about in my dreams, like what you see on the news that's happening around the world or something that could happen from a scary movie. Now that my nightmares and fears are more realistic and terrifying, I wish I could go back and just be afraid of E.T. still.
ReplyDeleteFear has played a very extreme role in the "skit" of my life. It is as though it enjoys altering the side of my mind that feeds my soul the "real" bites of reality. As this is true, my mind is a raging war field, for I cannot allow a victory for the side that acts as a hero for me, rescuing me from the extraterrestrial, the fear-striking creatures. That being said, I boldly declare that I am not whatsoever immune to this desperately attacking plague called fear. I can recall my younger childhood days to be the days in which the realms of this life, specifically referring to the bad ones, were overwhelming me with incredible force. When I saw the beloved Harry Potter series on TV, the creeping fear of the infamous Lord Voldemort became soon implanted into my brain and led my small tot of a brain to dread the fact that he could be living in my basement. This obviously made the mother-assigned task of recovering something from the downstairs refrigerator a more than daunting job. As a small person slowly emerging from the things that are real and not real, I decided somehow I would also engage myself with the fear of being all alone in the dark, the prospect of someone with a concealed weapon or other snatching me from behind. So, through this path I call my life, I have discovered that the very fact of fear stays constant, but is warped into various forms as you mature into adulthood. One sound fact of life is that when you attempt to run away a little faster in the dark, or close your eyes and completely avoid the basement, that potentially the very thing/creature etc. that is following you is still following you. I still am afraid of the dark, but have let go of my irrational fretting of the evil Lord Voldemort. Fear is funny, because it seems to be the one thing in your life that can really play with your mind so much, and it is not even necessary. Fear is dumb. We can overcome it.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was about 5 years old, I turned on the tv and starting watching Jaws. Little did I know that it would haunt me for the next 4 years. During that same summer, I wouldn't go to the pool. Thinking that a shark would come and eat me. I also had many other fears at that age. Such as a man standing in my room, watching me sleep and then taking me away in the middle of the night. Others being more realistic. For example, when I got my black eye during one of my baseball games, I thought that I would loose my eye sight and not be able to play baseball ever again.
ReplyDeleteNow that I am older those fears have left. Fears that I now have are loosing my other grandparents that I don't really get to see much because they live in California. As well as getting into the wrong place, at the wrong time. As in being in a bad situation that may affect my life or family.
As a child I always had a fear of just the dark, this happened to me at about 5. The only reason this happened was because my night light broke. Then as I went to find my parents the lights were off in the hallway and I believed that since my night light broke than the dark would never go away till morning because it was an evil scary guard that covered the house would burn away when the sun came up. This irrational fear I had for a total of 3 years until I realized that monsters aren't real and it was just my imagination. now that I am older I am not afraid of the dark and also realize that there is not a guard that is the dark blocking my house from any sun light, but the one thing that still scares me to this day is going down into my basement with no lights on in the dark. I guess you cant get rid of all fears completely
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a child I watched this special on area 51 and man did I pay for it.i was scared every night just starring at my window hoping aliens wouldn't come this irrational fear haunted me till about a year or two ago and man do I feel silly.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in forth, I had a crazy fear of ghosts because I always believed ghost stories I was told. Mostly, I used to think ghost were crawling up my basement stairs, and coming into my room and attack me, scratching at me as I powerlessly hanging on to my covers.
ReplyDeleteNow that I've gotten older, I hold on to this fear of ghosts and have added some other fears as well. I am still frightened of ghost shows, and won't watch them at night. I would say, though, that my most pervasive fear is that those ghosts on the television will come to my house. I don’t know why, even if those ghosts are in a country like Germany, it still seems, like they could travel somehow to my house. Every time Halloween comes around I will not go into a ‘haunted’ house, I hate being unexpectedly scared by things jumping out at me. Though I know some of these fears are a result of my personal experiences, others are strange; I have been lucky enough, for example, to not have any ghosts follow them home. I think those thoughts purely come from shifting ideals.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs a young child i was scared of almost everything, but the one thing that scared me the most was the darkness. I could never sleep alone or be in a room where even one corner was in darkness. I felt as if it would take me away and all i would see is blackness. And during the day when i saw my shadow i would think that the darkness is just following me around until it can have it's chance to attack at night. There was always one thing that would help though. My light up teddy bear that i would carry around with me everywhere. It never left my side and when i walked it the dark it was the one to go first so i would have a chance to get away if the darkness attacked. To this day i am still somewhat scared of the dark so i sleep with a night light and of course is till have my light up bear by my side.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in second grade, I had a crazy fear of ghosts because I always believed what anyone told me. Mostly, I used to think ghosts were crawling up my basement stairs, and coming into my room and would attack me, scratching at me as I was powerlessly hanging on to my covers.
ReplyDeleteNow that I've gotten older, I hold on to this fear of ghosts and have added some other fears as well. I am still frightened of ghost shows, and won't watch them at night. I would say, though, that my most pervasive fear is that those ghosts on the television will come to my house. I don’t know why, even if those ghosts are in a country like Germany, it still seems, like they could travel somehow to my house. Every time Halloween comes around I will not go into a ‘haunted’ house, I hate being unexpectedly scared by things jumping out at me. Though I know some of these fears are a result of my personal experiences, others are strange; I have been lucky enough, for example, to not have any ghosts follow them home. I think those thoughts purely come from changing thoughts through maturity.