Friday, December 9, 2011

Final Discussion of Anthem

Use the prompt on the overhead to begin your discussion.  After you've made your first post, use your classmates' questions to generate further discussion. 

14 comments:

  1. Equality uses the word i and ego because he is finally an individaual he learns that men are ment to rule their own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Equality finally get to use his own mind and speaks in a singular fashion, he is his own person now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think equality uses the word EGO because he's already broke so many rules that he's curious, and he's found out how wrong they are. is he going to be the only one who finds out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The unmentionable word that equality 7251 uses is ego. I think since equality has been we and they for so long that he is tried of being that so he is finally calling himself I and saying that these around him our his and mine and not ours and theirs. He finally has his won ego and wants to be able to keep it that way. MY question is what happens to him and the Golden One and also is he ever going to go back to try and get his brothers out of the state of mind that they are in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unmentionable word is ego. Equality use this word because he is starting to see him self as his own person. I know this because he starts to call him self I and not we like he used to. What is left hanging is what ends up happening to Equality and the Golden one. This is whats left hanging in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The unmentioned word is ego and i think that equality uses it because he now has no one to bow down to so he is now allowed to have a say and build up his ego

    ReplyDelete
  7. Equality uses the unmentionable word ego because with out it they couldn't be individuals. Ego is something that describes your self and equality want to be him self not a group. He can use I and ego to help him become himself and not equal to every one else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Equality uses the unmentionable word (ego) because he is finally his own person and can celebrate that, and he wants to show that he is not afraid to be himself. I wonder why it took Equality so long to realize that it's okay to be himself, but I don't think he will never go back to society because now he does realize ho sweet freedom is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Ayn Rand's novel Anthem, Equality uses the unmentionable word for the first time, EGO. He uses this word because he finally breaks free from the collective and becomes his own person.

    "And here, over the portals of my fort, I shall cut in the stone the word which is to be my beacon and my banner. The word which will not die, should we perish in battle. The word which can never die in this earth, for it is the heart of it and the meaning and the glory. The sacred word: EGO" I felt like this quote really captured everything Equality has become and it captures the soul behind the word EGO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The unmentionable words that Equality says that evolve around the word "EGO" and create his own ego, are words indicating individualism by using, "I, He, She, My," No more "we". He suddenly feels this power and realization that nobody should live as "one" in a society like robots, with such strict rules and so much forbidden. "I owe nothing to my brothers, nor do I gather debts from them. I ask none to live for me, nor do I live for any others. I covet no man's soul, nor is my soul theirs to covet." It shows that Equality knows that he can do it all by himself, and think his own thoughts and express his own creativity. My question is, do you really think that Equality and the Golden One will go back to their wretched society? Or maybe they'll seek another land with freedom? Or stay in hiding?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The unmentionable word is ego. Which is defined as someone's personality. Equality uses this word because he has found out so much about himself. Now that he has been banned from the society. He starts now to use I instead of We. What I think is left hanging is whats happens to Equality and the Golden One at the end of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The unmentionable word that Equality-7251 uses is ego. I think since equality uses ego that he realizes when he kept using the words 'we' and 'our' for such a long time that there was something missing from his life. As he was becoming more and more dependent throughout the story he finally has his own ego and doesn't want anyone to stop him.
    My question is what happens to him and Gaea and is he actually going to take his plans into action; with making a new home with remodeling it and taking some of the other people from his old camp where he lives?

    ReplyDelete
  13. At the end of the book. You learn that the unmentionable word is ego. This word is sacred to him, because it means that he is now his own person. He uses the term "I" for the first time. It took him a lot to find this individuality, including leaving his town. I wonder what happened to the town if Equality and The Golden one had any effect on their town.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So at the end of the book he used goes form being Equality-725 to using the word ego.Now he uses words like me,my and i instead of using we and they when he talks about him self any more.The book ends with a cliff hanger but what really happened to the town and did they ever go back to it? Did he ever go back. why dose it end on a cliff hanger. I think he now feels like he is a person. Ego is something that describes your self. When he was in that society they didn't want him to be him self they wanted him to believe he was this group. So he now uses the word ego and not equality any more.

    ReplyDelete